It’s that time of year when it starts warming up and everyone looks forward to their summer holidays. Children and babies can be very susceptible to the heat, so how can you make sure that they stay healthy during the summer months? Here are few Tiny Posers top tips on keeping your baby safe in hot weather.
- Avoid direct sunlight – the sun can be stronger than you’d think, especially on delicate baby skin, so it’s best to keep your baby out of the sun as much as possible. Hats and umbrellas are a must-have in the hot weather and it’s always advisable to make sure your baby is covered in plenty of child-safe sun cream too. Be extra careful if your baby is playing in water – if they’re not in the shade, dressing them in a well-covering swim suit and peaked hat that also shades the back of the neck is a good idea.
- Stay cool – little ones aren’t able to regulate their body temperature as well as adults, so can over-heat easily. Staying in the shade will help keep your baby cool outside. On a very hot day, retreating to a cool room indoors is a good move. Using cooling fans and opening windows to let a breeze through your home can also help keep things more comfortable. As for clothes, just leave them in a nappy or dress them in light cotton fabrics if they’re on the warm side. If you’re worried about your baby’s temperature, check it regularly with a thermometer and keep your eyes open for the symptoms of heat exhaustion.
- Drink plenty – just as they can over-heat easily, it doesn’t take much for a baby to become dehydrated. Keep an eye out for the symptoms of dehydration and give your baby plenty to drink to replace extra water they may lose due to the heat. If your baby is still on bottled milk, they may like some extra boiled, cooled water. A breastfeeding baby may need to feed more often.
- Look out for prickly heat – even when you try to keep them cool, some babies can come out in a prickly heat rash in the hot weather. A cool bath and an application of nappy cream can do wonders for soothing it.
- Travel safely – we all know how hot and sticky you can get travelling in the summer. If you’re going somewhere in the car, using the air conditioning and a window shade will help keep baby cool. It goes without saying that you should never, ever leave your baby in the car. Travelling by public transport can be a bit trickier, but packing items like a hand-held fan or cooling gel pads can help your baby travel more comfortably.
It’s great for babies to spend lots of time outside in the fresh air when the weather is nice. It’s so good for their health and happiness, as long as they’re kept safe from the sun and heat. So stock up on that sun cream, pump up the paddling pool and have some fun with your baby this summer!
If you’d like to remember this summer with some timeless images of your baby, why not come down to the Tiny Posers studio? We offer a number of portrait package deals for newborns, babies and families as well as glamorous maternity photo shoots for excited mums to be!
The Tiny Posers Photography studio specialises in natural, classic and high-end baby and family portrait photography in the London and Essex area, including Chelmsford, Colchester, Brentwood, Shenfield, Upminster, Loughton, North London, South London, London and others.